Xellis Notes

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Hubs' started by chefTENGU, Mar 13, 2008.

1. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    1:13 AM
    Now that we're here at Simreq, I've been doing the rules over in the [forum=13]main D&D forum[/forum]. For all information pertaining to that, you can go there. I'm always open to questions, of course. Only information directly pertinent to my campaign will be maintained here.

Campaign Setting
    Our story begins on the island of Xellis, a colony of the Aldor Empire. Xellis lies roughly a week's voyage from the mainland.

History
    The Aldor Empire, the largest nation in the world, began its expansion onto Xellis roughly three centuries ago. Only the southern third of the island is occupied by Aldor; the rest remains in the hands of the island's indigenous populations (which for the most part consist of wild elves and orcs).

The first colony site has since grown into Port Prosperity, the largest settlement on Xellis. Human and halflings made up much of the first wave of immigration, but many more have followed in their wake, seeking riches or adventure in a region that remains largely unknown to this day.

Xellis provides the Aldor Empire with a source for coffee, sugar, and other tropical produce it would not otherwise be able to enjoy, and much of the colonial partition is covered in farms and plantations. Xellis's agriculture could not flourish except for a constant and vigilant military presence, however.

Conflict with the native orcs has been endemic since the first Alor settlement was established; with a steady stream of soldiers, preparedness among the civilian population, support from the native elves, and the establishment of two fortresses, things are more or less secure within the colony. Aldor took much of the land traditionally held by Xellis's orcs; those who did not flee Aldor's armies have either resisted to the death or integrated themselves into its society.

About fifty years after the first Aldor settlers arrived, enterprising gnomes and dwarves discovered silver in the low mountains of the island's interior, and have since established several mines. These mines are typically heavily fortified, however, as they exist outside the protection of Aldor's armies and have to contend with hostile natives; in addition to raids by marauding orc bands, the activity of mining often disturbs native populations of subterranean kobolds and goblins, who have typically opted to remain more aloof and passive (but no less hostile) than the island's orcs.

Demographics
    Humans make up most of the colony's population; they were the majority of the original settlers, whose descendants have thrived on Xellis. Many humans also choose to immigrate to Xellis, seeking a different life than one that is available to them on the Aldor mainland. Half-Elves mix in freely with Xellis's human population, although they tend to be less sedentary.

Halflings, ever mindful of opportunity, have come to Xellis in droves. They also have populated the colony since its beginning, working to create a niche for themselves and other halflings. They can be found in just about every settlement on the island.

Elves have lived on Xellis for thousands of years, though civilized ones are much more recent additions. Small numbers of elves from Aldor arrived with the first colonists to lend support to the military with soldiers and magic, and many more have arrived since then. Xellis is rife with curiosities to be studied, mysteries to be solved, and discoveries to be made; such an environment has attracted the attention of many elvish scholars. Most elves live in their own quarter in Port Prosperity, although they can be found all over the island, pursuing various interests.

Outside of Port Prosperity, most dwarves avoid the main settlements on Xellis. Most prefer to ply their expertise at both mining and combat by heading into the island's interior, literally carving out their homes inside Xellis's mountains. They have worked hard to make their own permanent dwarven settlements; their efforts are just now beginning to bear fruit, to the benefit of themselves and Xellis as well, due to the increased mine productivity they have spurred.

Gnomes have assisted the dwarf endeavors on Xellis since they began, and their combat expertise fighting kobolds has helped maintain the small measure of security the mines have gained. Unlike the dwarves, however, gnomes also enjoy the flow of people that come into Xellis, and some like to travel around the colony, spreading and picking up interesting news and other stories.

Half-Orcs may be found in relative abundance on Xellis. Most are descended from the island's original native population, although some are enterprising individuals from the mainland. Most live as agricultural laborers or traveling mercenaries.

There are a number of tribes of barbaric, wild elves living in Xellis's jungles. They have pledged military support for Aldor against the orcs, their bitter enemies. In exchange, they have asked to remain autonomous. Aldor has for the most part agreed to these terms, as it sees no reason to devote the power and resources to conquering the elves' lands, which remain largely unexplored. Tales circulate among the colonial population that the northwestern jungles are full of strange, dangerous beasts the likes of which have never been seen before on the mainland.

Xellis's native orcs have a deep hatred for both the wild elves and the Aldor colonists. They live in nomadic bands which traverse the empty scrublands in the northeastern portion of the island. Their lives are hardened though constant conflict: with their foes, with the land, with each other. They feel no kinship with any of the colonial half-orcs; in their eyes, they are the descendants of weaklings who have betrayed their heritage, their ancestors, and their god.

Attached Files:

2. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    Re: Notes to Xellis

By the way, feel free to get started with character creation. I'm gonna be kinda up in the air for the next week (spending spring break with my girlfriend) so I'm only going to be making sporadic appearances.

If you would like, you can find a pdf of the character sheet from the 3.5 PHB here. Download the second available one, the one that is specifically mentioned being from the Player's Handbook.

Feel free to download the bigger one if you want; it's pretty fancy. However, it includes a bunch of stuff that I don't think we'll be getting into (such as psionics), so the two-page dealie will be just fine for our needs.

Just post or pm or do whatever to let me know your choices for Race, Class, and Ability distribution (I'm going to assume that you're NOT adjusting scores for race, so let me take care of that).

Once I've confirmed your final ability scores, I'll let you know how many skill points you'll be getting and you can start buying up skills (delicious, delicious skills), and I'll let you know how many feats you're entitled to.

After that comes all the rest, so I figure we can create characters in three easy steps each.

3. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    2:13 AM

Thanks to Kevin, most of my character sheet is now done. I'm Oren Pruushnak, a chaotic-good, half-orc rogue with a heart of jold.

4. chefTENGU

Local Time:

If you'd like, you could post more details about him.... things like appearance, personality, history... stuff that doesn't fit on a character sheet.

Or, keep us in the dark and make it all a mystery.

5. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

I won't really know anything "about him" until I've played as him. Remember, Alexis wasn't born in a day.

6. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Well, that's fine. I just didn't know if there was anything specific you had already decided on.

7. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Nope. Well, you know, other than that one thing.

8. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

I extremely understand all of this. But if I have problems with every choice I am given, I will ask you.

9. chefTENGU

Local Time:

I really don't think it'll be nearly so complicated in practice. Especially in the beginning, with everyone's base attack bonuses being so low, folks are probably just going to be making a lot of single attacks and single movements.

I also fully intend on letting you guys know important distances so you can know how far away things are, hopefully to cut down on confusion.

10. chefTENGU

Local Time:

This is where combat rules used to be. They can now be found [topic=106]here[/topic].

11. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Looking for information on weapons, armor, and gear? Look [topic=102]here[/topic].

12. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Pretty intense. I guess we're just waiting for the finishing-up of Brian's sheet and subsequently Mattjew's?

13. chefTENGU

Local Time:

We will be ready to begin very soon. I just need to get Matt's character rolled up and equipped, then finish some DM stuff. Currently I'm banging out a few of the niggling details about the geography and demographics of Xellis, and drawing up some maps for encounters.

I've had a few opportune dreams which have helped me to develop an overarching theme and plot to advance, as well as several adventures of the side quest variety, and all the NPCs that your characters are likely to encounter at the beginning of the campaign have already been fleshed out... almost (let's say they're all about 95% done, at least all the major characteristics and aspects are already determined).

Ron and Brian, if either of you have had any thoughts about Oren and Revalus (respectively) in terms of personal history, habits, goals or motivations, or any other such background details, let me know now so I can incorporate them and bring things together nicely (one big detail I've been wondering about is whether they're island-born or immigrants from the mainland).

'Course, no one has to share anything if you don't know anything about them yet, since those details will probably all come out later anyway.

Questions are welcome too. I'll divulge anything that your character would have a reasonable way of knowing.

14. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

I've not gotten anything particular I need to share about Oren.

Oh, but I'm ready to play. I think things are settled down enough that I can do so competently and promptly.

15. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Me too.

Here's what I've decided:

Instead of starting a new thread immediately, I'm going to basically deal with everyone individually until we all come together, at which point we can do everything in thread.

Check your little chat box with me to the right; Ron set it up so that we can send each other messages privately even if we're not all online. Just click on the one with my name, and you should see anything I've sent to you privately within the past two weeks.

This thread will serve for out-of-character discussion, reference, and a repository for any comments or questions.

16. chefTENGU

Local Time:

All right! The IC thread is officially up!

Red posts contain general information for and descriptions of the environment, or any other pertinent information that characters might be aware of.

Green posts contain narrative details and dialogue.

Purple posts contain information on effects that are currently affecting the characters, as well as necessary character sheet updates and the like.

I will continue to use the chat function to communicate information to characters privately, whenever the need may arise. So keep your eye on the list to the right.

Also, I'll share the description information you've all set for me:

Oren - black hair, black eyes, gray skin, wearing studded leather armor, 6’4”, 302lbs.

Revalus - light brown hair (mid length), deep forest green eyes, white skin, wearing scale mail, 5’4”, 110lbs.

Ricky - brown hair, blue eyes, white skin, wearing a scholar's outfit, 5’2”, 120lbs.

I'll leave it to you guys to add any further details.

17. chefTENGU

Local Time:

I changed the title of the main thread; I think what I'll do is make separate threads for each adventure in the campaign.

18. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

"Ricky"? Oh jeez. How very typical of you, Mattjew. Hehe.

19. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

I'm not totally sure how to proceed now that this dialog exchange is over.

20. chefTENGU

Local Time:

That's up to you guys. At this point, you don't really have much to go on, so you'll need to gather clues. Skills like search and gather information can help with that, while sense motive will help you deal with the NPCs you interact with.

It's up to you to decide how your talents can be used to your advantage.

21. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Well, hehe, I get that much, but I do not know what technically I can do at the moment as far as how to bring it about. I guess I'll wait for Brian or Matt to do something.

22. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Hunter has expressed an interest in joining us; he's been reading the thread and thinks the niche of "tank" still needs to be filled.

I don't think I'd have any problem incorporating him into the story, and considering that 4 is supposed to be the standard party size, things might flow easier, but I want to make sure you guys are ok with adding in another PC, first.

23. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

I am perfectly fine with that, and he knows how to play DnD, so it's not like he'll have a learning curve much. I can also vouch that he's a good/fun guy.

24. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Hunter's been approved by all, and I've invited him to this thread. I'll invite him to post in the IC thread once he's gotten his character rolled.

Also, Brian had mentioned the possibility of a Scott joining us. I'm not opposed to him jumping on, but I want to make sure we'll be ok with the additional member. If takes a long time, we can still let him in even if everyone gets to level 2 before he does. Catching up won't be much of a problem, and the challenge shouldn't be to much to overcome, since he'll have four allies for support.

25. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Fine by me. Again, he's played DnD, so it's not like he should have any problems. And, quite frankly, I can see it being occasionally a good idea for us not all to be doing the same thing at the same time. (Like, although it was inadvertent, Oren is not with the others right now. It would be possible for two different things to go on at a time, perhaps by having two threads going at once.)

Brian, you'll have to get Scott's login details to him should this be approved (which I don't see it not). Of course, I'll have to make his account.