Solved What networks do we need for gaming hubs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bloodcinder, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Bird Bird Bird Developer

Local Time:
    8:30 PM
    When I launched Keenspark, I included the following networks:
    • Roleplaying
    • Narrative
    • Strategy (previously Tournament)
    The purpose is to make it so that the threads within each network's hubs can be tailored to a particular kind of gameplay. For example, roleplaying game with actual mechanics have different needs than narrative storytelling games without mechanics, and both have different needs than a strategy or board game or player elimination game.

In addition, each is a substantially different category of game. Other than micro-games like trivia which I created the Micro-Games forum for, I think most structured games will fall into these three categories.

What do you guys (specifically [USERGROUP=3][USERGROUP=3]@Administrators[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP]) think? Not talking yet specifically about what different features each network might have, are these thematically a good split? Any suggestions for improvement?

2. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    7:30 PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to differentiating the different categories. I can't decide whether it's better to try and anticipate other gaming branches and to get the respective networks set up (even if there's no one using them), or to leave it as it is for now, and add additional networks once the need arises (running the risk that a member might not be aware that we can be flexible in that way).

Now that I think about it, I'm still at a loss for placing something like Blood Bowl into a particular category. Probably strategy, but that almost feels wrong, somehow.

3. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    I would put it in the Strategy category, but seeing that changed the name from Tournament to Strategy you can probably appreciate the naming conundrum. I can't quite come up with one word that really encompasses everything that still intuitively feels like it should be in that same category.

I mean, Pandemic and Snowbound have nothing in common, except that they're not roleplaying or storytelling and they involve people joining up to play a game that has a particular duration in turns/rounds and involves strategy, sometimes teamwork, and sometimes competition.

4. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    7:30 PM
    Frankly, I would be willing to put Mafia/Snowbound/etc. into their own category since they revolve around a similar playing style. That and there's no board to keep track of, only the conversation and the players' own paranoia.

5. Seegtease

Seegtease Merciful Mage of Many Means Administrator

Local Time:
    5:30 PM
    Well, the categories make sense.

Pure Storytelling
    Storytelling/Mechanics hybrid
    Pure Mechanics

I realize some of those mechanic games require being in-character to a degree, but I think that they don't require storytelling.

Then we have mini-games, which is trivia and whatnot. I think that really sums it up well. By the way, I still do want to host a narrative game at some point, but they're only fun with more active members. I will be considering it as we grow.

6. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    Yes, I agree on the narration, Hunter; I'd love to do one again, but we need more than just the three of us.

I also can see what you mean with your three categories. I'm assuming you mean...

Roleplaying= Storytelling/Mechanics Hybrid
    Narrative = Pure Storytelling
    Strategy = Pure Mechanics

Right? If so, they do appear to fit perfectly.

Kevin, regarding Mafia and Snowbound, I can see them having their own category eventually for Elimination-type games (they're actually Party games), but perhaps that can be spun off from Strategy down the road if the need for fine-grain selection crops up. It is possible to move hubs between networks, so there's no worry of getting stuck in a bad arrangement.

7. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    I've added a group of Gaming Details to the sidebar of each hub, currently limited to specifying the rules system for each hub. I've edited each hub to retrofit the property. This property can be specified by editing the hub or when creating a new hub.

For reference, I can create as many property groups and properties as we need, and they can be different for each network. But the rules system was the only one that seemed like a clear and universal necessity.

8. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    I made a Network Archives network into which hubs can be voluntarily moved by their creators if they are finished or canceled (if they so choose) or can be moved by moderators or administrations if they are abandoned. The Network Archives are still fully viewable but cannot be posted, edited, or deleted in.

I relocated Victorque's abandoned game and my two canceled/abandoned games there.

They can be moved back in the future if need be, and it's not specifically required that inactive hubs be moved there. However, in the interests of keeping the hub list tidy within each network, it's available.

9. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    I undid everything in the last post in favor of a hack that sorts hubs by most recent post rather than alphabetically. That way active hubs will be at the top and inactive ones will sink to the bottom. Until the add-on developer makes any progress with usability, that'll be good enough.

So that explains why the hubs will appear in a different order now.

10. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    This has been undone by a recent update to the add-on, and I'm not going to fix it right now because I'm waiting for a bug fix from the author.

11. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    Re-fixed.