Featured Site Update Announcements

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bloodcinder, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Seegtease

Seegtease Merciful Mage of Many Means Administrator

Local Time:
    11:32 AM
    Fifty dollars for a single feature? Geez. Any alternates?

2. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    2:32 PM
    Yeah, I create an alternative that only costs $5. How about that?

Seegtease and chefTENGU like this.
  3. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    It's really disingenuous, because this was a completely free add-on that EVERYBODY uses and has been for years. Suddenly a new developer takes over and does very little work on it then has the audacity to slap a copyright message on it if you don't pay them. It wouldn't bother me so much except that the thing started out free. It's bad practice to take something free and turn it into something paid after it's already been released.

4. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    1:32 PM
    Apparently having more than a quarter million characters to play with isn't enough to get in all the spells for 5e. I'm roughly 75% done; would another limit increase be feasible, or should I rethink either my formatting/coding or come up with some other alternative?

5. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    You should split them up in some way across multiple posts.

6. chefTENGU

Local Time:
  7. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    My support license for the year is about to expire for Xenforo, so I upgraded to the latest version just now. I'll be upgrading some add-ons over the next few days too. If you have any problems that don't clear up after a duration of a few minutes, let me know.

I found the issue and fixed it, as far as I'm aware. So double post merging should now be working in gaming hubs again. Let me know if you experience success.

I upgraded to the latest version pre-sellout. I have no plans to give them any money. They haven't even done any more work on the add-on since they took it over. Lame. As long as I use the pre-sellout version, I'm under the old free license.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    When searching from the main search bar on any page, conversation results will now show up as well as post and thread results.

9. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    That's a nifty little update. Thanks!

Bloodcinder likes this.
  10. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    Kevin, I think this next feature might become your new obsession...

I've installed (and slightly customized) an add-on for threadmarks.

In any thread where you are the creator, an extra threadmark option will show up in the bottom options row for each post (in the row with the "edit" option). If you click it, it will let you name a threadmark for the post. After submitting, you will then see a header above the post with the new threadmark name. If you click the threadmark option link for a post that already has a threadmark, you can rename or delete it.

If a thread has any threadmarks within it, a threadmarks dropdown menu will show up in the nav links (where you see the page numbers and previous/next links for navigating within the thread). This menu will pop open to link to all threadmarked posts up to 5; if there are more than 5, it will show the most recent along with a link to pop open the full threadmark list in an overlay. Clicking any threadmark link takes you directly to the post.

To illustrate how this can be used, I added some threadmarks to Kevin's Playtesting thread in the Lobby. Look for the threadmarks nav link. (Normally only the thread creator can do this, but moderators usurp that permission.) It's useful for making it easier to find commonly-referenced posts within a long thread, such as character sheets, rules for interpreting maps, important plot transitions, or so on. It can also be used in reference threads as kind of a table of contents, although it's not precisely intended for that purpose.

11. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    Way cool. I'm going to have to play around with these.

It's also interesting to me that when you pull up the threadmark, it switches to an automatically condensed view that omits the edit options and signatures of posters.
    Nevermind. It was displaying the page as if I had logged out, which is probably why it was doing that.

12. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    If you were encountering a problem, I can't replicate it.

13. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    It's just something that happens when I'm at work, I think it has something to do with the browser settings.

14. Seegtease

Local Time:
    I was just thinking this as you mentioned the change. Thanks!

15. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    This was a minor bug that maybe only I noticed but it's been on my todo list for a long time: I fixed the note tag so that it displays correctly in post previews.

I've done some other secret/tentative work on it, but I'm not going to announce it yet.

16. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    I've made some server changes that ought to be making pages deliver much faster now, especially on mobile devices. You may or may not notice a change, but you shouldn't notice any problems. If you do... obviously let me know.

17. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    I don't know if this is related or not, but I find that I am suddenly unable to view attachments.

18. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    I see that too. Let me investigate.

It was actually refusing to accept new attachments correctly due to a completely unrelated reason. Fixed it. Go upload your attachment again.

It was bugging me that thread prefixes were showing up in the thread titles in browser tabs. The consequence was that when browsing the FaceSpark thread, for example, the tab would generally only display "Featured - Fa..." depending on how many tabs I had open. So... now prefixes do not show in the page titles, which means your tabs should be more descriptive. Note that the change effects this thread as well and any others with a prefix.

Seegtease likes this.
  19. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    Oh, I added a feature and forgot to tell you about it. In honor of it being 4am local time as I post this...

If you bring up somebody's member card (the thing that pops up when you click their name or avatar) you can now see what their local time is.

20. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Actually, it's right there below your numbering of likes received.

21. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    Oh, that too. I wasn't sure whether to leave it on there or not, but it seemed like a useful piece of info considering our hobby of asynchronous gaming. And then I forgot.

Seegtease likes this.
  22. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    By the way, sorry about the server errors and such when I'm working on the forum all day. Just, uh, if you see me online be careful about doing anything super vital without making a backup of your work if it's important.

23. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Guest

Local Time:
    This is a guest post made by @Bloodcinder while logged out. I need to see how guest posts look as part of developing automated postbots. For reference to staff, this required moderator approval to show up.

Gio Takahashi likes this.
  24. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    I'm disappointed with how the double post add-on behaves, and with their aforementioned price gouging, and it's incompatible with the postbots. (Rather, I can make it compatible, and I did, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through and it's not worth it.)

I don't think we have a big problem with double-posting at this forum. I'm probably the primary culprit, and I can learn to edit. I may work on an alternative add-on that visually merges multiple posts in a row by the same author. However, that add-on just isn't worth the headaches.

Once I decide if the change is permanent or not, I'll write a query to automatically tidy up all the [doublepost] tags that are left behind. Looking through our most active threads, very rarely do we really rely on double post merging, so I'm inclined to go through with the removal entirely.

25. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    And I did. All historic [doublepost] markers have been replaced with new line spacing.