Chapter Phantasy Star

Discussion in 'Narrative Hubs' started by chefTENGU, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    1:13 AM
    Camineet
    Alis Landale is walking home one evening, when she is surprised to find a crowd gathered in the street. Most are ordinary folk of the residential district, but she finds a few armored soldiers among them as well.

In the thick of it all, a body is sprawled out on the street. It is Nero, her brother.

36746-phantasy-star-sega-master-system-screenshot-intro-scenes.gif

The soldiers go on their way, and the crowd slowly begins to disperse.

2. Seegtease

Seegtease Merciful Mage of Many Means Administrator

Local Time:
    11:13 PM
    "Nero!"

Alis rushes to her brother's side, checking his condition and if she can do anything for him.

3. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    alislist-1.png
    He slowly opens his eyes. He is bleeding badly and in a lot of pain.

"Alis... I'm afraid I've left you a terrible mess... and in a lot of trouble..."

4. Seegtease

Local Time:
    "No, you haven't left anything. Don't speak like that."

In denial of the inevitable situation, Alis tears some clothing to use in an effort to stop the bleeding.

5. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    He coughs a bit, blood spatters from his lips.

"Alis, listen, I don't have much time. Just helping me makes you a suspect, too. Lashiec is going to destroy everything if he isn't stopped...

"Find Odin. He can help you. Be careful..."

The light fades from his eyes and he goes still. His hand is still clutched around his sword.

phantasystar1-1.png

6. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Alis wipes back a tear as she makes her vow.

She will move his body for a proper burial if she is able.

7. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    After Nero's Funeral
    Alis has been lying low for days. Even though her brother is gone and buried, she's noticed an increased number of patrols near her house. Nero may have been right: though they haven't come for her yet, Lashiec's soldiers may simply decide she is guilty by association.

Most of her time has been spent at the home of her neighbor, a woman named Suelo, who's been a friend to her family for years.

"I saw the whole thing. The cowards shot him in the back... there was nothing you could have done. If you'd tried, we'd have been burying you, too."

8. Seegtease

Local Time:
    "Maybe. But I can finish what he started and hopefully put an end to Lasheic's tyranny. He did leave me with something... Odin. I have to find Odin," Alis says.

9. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    She nods silently.

"I've never heard of him, but you might check in with Nekise. He was a friend of your brother's and should be able to tell you more.

"He lives on the other side of town, near the passage to the spaceport. Be careful around there, the soldiers arrest pretty much anyone wandering too close without a roadpass."

10. Seegtease

Local Time:
    "Thanks for all you've done for me, Suelo," Alis says, managing a weak smile.

She stands up, with a now resolute demeanor. "The time for grieving is passed. I must now fulfill my brother's wishes, not just to avenge him, but for the good of us all."

She will head to the location of Nekise straightaway. She will retrieve her brother's sword for protection.

11. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    "Remember, no matter what happens, you're always welcome here."

West Camineet
    Alis follows Suelo's directions through the well-manicured parks and lawns of the residential district, sticking to side streets to better avoid attention from the soldiers guarding the way to the spaceport.

When she knocks on the door to Nekise's dome, a robotic voice responds with a query:

"Please state your name."

12. Seegtease

Local Time:
    "Alis Landale."

13. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    There's a hiss of a lock releasing and the door panel slides open. It's dark inside, and Alis can't see anything of the building's interior.

"Enter quickly," the voice commands.

14. Seegtease

Local Time:
    She does. She's apprehensive, but doesn't show it.

15. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    The door slides shut behind her, and she hears the lock engage. The lights come on almost immediately once it does.

"Sorry about that," she hears someone call from an adjoining room, "but one can never be too careful."

A disheveled man steps into view from around a corner. Judging by the smell, he hasn't gotten out much lately. There are bags under his eyes and a rough stubble compliments the tousled dirty blonde hair ringing his head.

"I'm sorry about your brother, Alis. Nero was a good friend to me," he says in a sleepy-sounding drawl. He puts out his hand for a shake, "I'm Nekise. I had a feeling you might be coming by to visit."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  16. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Alis relaxes as the lights come on. She shakes his hand.

"It was the last wish of my brother to continue his work. I was told to find Odin, and was informed that you might know something concerning his whereabouts."

17. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    He smiles wanly.

"I was trying to arrange a meeting with him before Nero was killed. Odin is a real tough guy, stubborn and dedicated, not too bright. Exactly the sort of guy we've been looking for. He lives out in Scion, the old port city to the east.

"I hope you're prepared for the trip. It's located outside the Wall."

"The Wall" Nekise is mentioning refers to the protective barrier encircling the twin cities of Camineet and Parolit, which flank Parma's spaceport. What he's saying is Alis is likely to face attack from biomonsters along the way.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  18. Seegtease

Local Time:
    "I will have to see if I can afford provisions and some defensive equipment for the trip," Alis says, as she considers what resources and funds she has.

"...and I may need to practice my swordsmanship."

19. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    "Oh, and there was one other thing..."

He leaves briefly and rummages around for a bit before returning with a vase in hand. It's unusual in that it's made entirely from metal.

20. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Alis looks at the vase and tilts her head, confused.

21. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    "That's not just any old pot, it's made of pure laconia. Probably be worth a fortune, if you could find someone willing and able to buy it.

"Nero left it with me for safekeeping. Don't ask me where he got it, he didn't say. But he seemed to think it would come in handy. I figure now it should go to you."

22. Seegtease

Local Time:
    She accepts it.

"Thank you. I will see that it's used for a fruitful purpose."

23. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    They bid each other farewell and Alis returns home to see to her preparations.

Her equipment isn't much. Nero's sword, and a simple armor suit of reinforced leather, supplemented with a shield. She also takes all of the mesetas she has to her name, which isn't much.

She heads out to the edge of Camineet. She can hear the warning klaxon repeating its message:

"Citizens are reminded that due to increased biomonster activity, wilderness travel is currently inadvisable."

24. Seegtease

Local Time:
    She rolls her eyes as she disregards the warning.

Control under the guise of safety.

25. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    The soldiers at the gate observe her, but they do not stop her. Alis travels beyond the Wall and proceeds toward Scion.

The way is disused, but by no means impassable. Ever since the interplanetary colonisation began, much of Parma outside the residential areas was returned to wilderness. Biomonster attacks have always been a threat, but it's only lately that they've become so frequent and dangerous.

Alis isn't harassed by anything more troublesome than a few overgrown insects on her trip. Along the way, she begins to realize her inner strength and develops techniques for simple healing and communication.

Scion
    "Welcome to Scion port and residential area. Citizens are advised that due to the ongoing suspension of civilian ship traffic, the harbor is closed and off-limits to visitors..."

The greeting klaxon isn't much more comforting than the one in Camineet.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.