Abandoned Grid Language Ideas

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bloodcinder, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    2:05 AM
    Trying to think of a thing to help Kevin make grids.

Like maybe...

..ıııı^^^^^^^...
    ıı^^^^^^^O^.....
    ^^^^R^....M.◊◊X.
    ^^....∂...G.◊◊..

..instead of being...

Code:
    [mono][lite=#FFAA00]..ıııı^^^^^^^...[/lite]
    [lite=#FFAA00]ıı^^^^^^^O^.....[/lite]
    [lite=#FFAA00]^^^^R^....M.◊◊X.[/lite]
    [lite=#FFAA00]^^....∂...G.◊◊..[/lite]
    [lite=#FFAA00]........[/lite][lite=#0055FF]........[/lite]
    [lite=#FFAA00]....[/lite][lite=#0055FF]............[/lite]
    [lite=#0055FF]........[/lite][lite=#0000FF]........[/lite]
    [lite=#0055FF]....[/lite][lite=#0000FF]............[/lite][/mono]
    ...could be...

Code:
    [map=16x8]
    ..vvvv^^^^^^^...
    vv^^^^^^^^^.....
    ^^^^^^..........
    ^^..............
    ,,,,,,,,--------
    ----------------

. = tan solid
    v = tan south-hatching
    ^ = tan north-hatching
    , = blue solid
    - = dark blue solid

(5,3) black "Ricky"
    (7,4) black "Oren's bag"
    (10,2) black "Oren"
    (11,3) black "Meng"
    (11,4) black "Grungak"
    (15,3) black "rider"
    (13-14,3-4) black "fallen horse"
    [/map]

...and it would generate a full-size image out of icons and text labels.

And maybe that example is too unintuitive for you to use. But you get the point, some language could be devised, with your input on what is most useful. And I've done a project like this before, which isn't that hard (remember the map script for Burg?). It would actually be kind of refreshing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    1:05 AM
    Re: General Staff Discussion

Hell, I could probably share with you some of the environment-building guidelines in the DM's guide for generating completely random grids.

3. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Well, that would be the kind of thing I'd have to leave up to you to do. I'm just talking about a way to electronically sketch them once you have them made.

4. chefTENGU

Local Time:

If you see it as feasible, then we should give it a try.

Sounds pretty cool!

5. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

The best way for me to devise a language, then, is for you to take, well, that recent map and show me how you'd LIKE to type it up if you had your druthers, using my dummy language above as kind of an idea for what I'm going for generally.

6. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Sure. Give me a little while to cobble together a list of things that would be suitable for various terrain features.

7. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    Re: Grid Language

If there is indeed a limited list of terrain features, sure, we can just treat it like an RPG tiler.

Save a tile in Photoshop, name it "grass" or whatever, give it a symbol "." or whatever, and I add it to the system. Then you represent it in the map with a "." without having to define what it is.

That would change my previous dummy to this, given that all of the symbols are coded into the system so that it automatically knows what they are...

Code:
    [grid]
    ..vvvv^^^^^^^...
    vv^^^^^^^^^.....
    ^^^^^^..........
    ^^..............
    ,,,,,,,,--------
    ----------------

5,3 Ricky
    7,4 Oren's bag
    10,2 Oren
    11,3 Meng
    11,4 Grungak
    15,3 rider
    13-14,3-4 fallen horse
    [/grid]

That wouldn't give you the freedom to add tile types on the fly, but those could be done easily with a few minutes help from me.

I could even make it so that the tiles load from your FTP. So if you wanted to you could upload a tile to the FTP, give it a symbol name, and use it all on your own.

In other words...

You want to add a "grassy high ground" tile using the symbol "#" or something. You make a "grassy-high-ground.png" tile according to spec, put it in your FTP, and edit a file in there that says "# grassy-high-ground" or something.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. chefTENGU

Local Time:

that would also make it easier to incorporate miscellaneous terrain features which wouldn't necessarily show up on a regular basis (like furniture and other objects).

9. chefTENGU

Local Time:

I've got a question:

How could we incorporate things that go around squares on the grid rather than through them?

A good example is how to represent walls and doorways. One of the biggest problems with the grid inside Athaliss's house is that my method of drawing in the walls and doors kind of threw off the rest of the map and made things less clear (which defeats the purpose of having a grid).

10. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Around as in... between two squares? The place that you might call a "border"?

11. chefTENGU

Local Time:

Yes, that thing.

12. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

Good question. Um. I can't think of a way to do that without being cumbersome.

13. chefTENGU

Local Time:

I've come up with a few. Others will come later, once they come to me. There's a lot of different things which could be present at any given time, so it's going to take a while for me to imagine them all.

. = No special object/feature; for mostly "open" terrain. The precise characteristics of the square will be indicated by varying colors (ground, shallow water, deep water, light undergrowth, dense undergrowth, shallow bog, deep bog, cliff face/rock wall, chasm, scree, rubble, ice sheet)

>, <, ^, v = gradual slope/stairs rising east, west, north, south respectively

», «, !, ¡ = steep slope/stairs rising east, west, north, south, respectively

$ = Spiral staircase

• = Slender vertical obstruction (thin pillar, typical tree, average statue, etc.)

Ø = Thick vertical obstruction (wide pillar, massive tree, anything else that takes up an entire square)

∂ = Container (Oren's pack precedented it, but it could easily be used for chests, barrels, etc.)

How's that for starters?

14. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:

My focus is more on the how, not the specifics. That's kind of stage two there. I just need more time to think about it, and such...

15. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    I'm still thinking about this, by the way, but any input you might have since last we discussed this is welcome. I'm trying to think of something that's likely easier and quicker (not just different) than the way you're doing it now.

16. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    I'm a little unclear about what sorts of requirements a system of this sort would demand.

17. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Developer

Local Time:
    Yeah, I realize that I'm looking at it from a different point of view than you are. It's probably something whose requirements I will have to glean from watching you work the way you do already, then try to make something more robust and easier for you to use.

Some of the code for the maps as you have them now is just too complicated to be pleasant for you. It makes my eyes cross. I just need to sit down and think sometime. Easy for me to forget to do that when I'm not the one making the maps.

18. chefTENGU

Local Time:
    the [mono] tag is a godsend. It's easy enough to copy/paste what I need, then I just move the markers around (while using preview to ensure everything's where I want it).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015