General Video Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Gaming' started by Seegtease, May 23, 2016.

1. Seegtease

Seegtease Merciful Mage of Many Means Administrator

Local Time:
    5:42 PM
    Played Rogue Legacy for quite some time last night. It's very addicting. If you like the idea of a Castlevania game, but with random castles and a rogue-lite style, this is the game. When you die, you have to start over with a new randomized castle, but you maintain equipment and stats (you upgrade your castle, so your heirs have access to better training is the justification). There's an achievement to finish the game within 15 deaths, which is insane because I'm at well over 50 or 60 and only killed 1/4 bosses (progress on those is also saved).

I couldn't put it down. It's very challenging, but your failures don't feel wasted. The controls are responsive and the gameplay is fun. It really puts your platforming skills to the test. The graphics and music are charming, and the heir traits are amusing and creative. It will be repetitive, but if you've got a taste for rogue-likes, that won't be anything unusual. The randomization keeps it interesting.

9/10

2. Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder Bird Bird Bird Developer

Local Time:
    8:42 PM
    Too bad it doesn't have co-op.

3. Seegtease

Local Time:
    It would be nice, but most rogue-likes don't. They're about dying repeatedly and starting over, so they don't usually accommodate for it.

4. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    7:42 PM
    One of the games in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is Fatal Labyrinth, a rogue-like.

My favorite thing about it is that the gold you accumulate only determines how nice your funeral is when you die.

Seegtease likes this.
  5. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    The Steam rogue-lite 20XX is two player co-op. Eventually if I have a Steam Link and the game ever gets finished then I might buy it.

6. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Breaking new ground! Megaman co-op rogue-likes! Awesome.

7. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Both steam controller and steam link are on the best sales I've seen, even 10% cheaper if purchased together.

8. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    How much total?

9. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Normally over 100 for both, but as a combo now, looks like 62.

10. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Also a lot of good sales for steam summer sale until July 4.

11. Bloodcinder

Local Time:
    I have read that Steam Link doesn't do well over WiFi. I'm not interested in running a network cable.

12. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Honesty I can't imagine any video where precise timing and frequent responsive input would do well over wifi. I use an HDMI cable from my PC.

13. Seegtease

Local Time:
    Started playing Fallout 4 (got it on a good sale, been waiting). So far, it halfway feels like Elder Scrolls except post apocalyptic world. Not surprising, because it's the same game design company.

So far I've spent half my time making the ugliest character I could (see attached) and then building a city from my mass amount of scraps. You really can build a city. Also attached is the start of my bar. Main quest objectives are for scrubs.

Attached Files:

Bloodcinder likes this.
  14. Seegtease

Local Time:
  15. chefTENGU

chefTENGU Does not approve Administrator

Local Time:
    7:42 PM
    I doubt I'm going to buy anything else for Mac. My OS is too shitty and the laptop's a dinosaur.

I need to upgrade, but I have too many adult expenses to pay down (just got new gutters and throwing my bonus money at my car payments).

16. Seegtease

Local Time:
    In any case, it's DRM free and if you buy it, you have access to it forever, so good for future upgrades.